The Recycling Market Development Zone (RMDZ) program is specifically designed for businesses and manufacturers that utilize products that would normally end up in a landfill. A business may be eligible for RMDZ benefits if their operations include any of the following:
- Waste prevention manufacturing that reduces the materials used to make products;
- Processes that make products reusable again by repair, reconditioning, and/or washing;
- Manufacturing that makes recycled-content products; and
- Conversion technology and biomass processes that convert waste to energy, fuel, etc., excluding high heat processes.
Sonoma, Mendocino, and Lake Counties
Together, the counties of Sonoma, Mendocino and Lake form one of California’s Recycling Market Development Zones. Currently managed by Sonoma County Green Business Program, with assistance from the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery or CalRecycle (formerly known as the California Integrated Waste Management Board), this zone includes all the incorporated and unincorporated areas of each county.
The RMDZ program combines economic development with recycling to provide attractive incentives for new businesses, expansion of existing facilities, job creation, and reduction of waste headed to landfills. Through monetary loans and business development Assistance, the Sonoma/Mendocino/Lake Zone benefits the community in the following ways:
- Stimulates the expansion of recycled-content product manufacturers into the region;
- Decreases community dependence on landfills;
- Assists local municipality with meeting state mandated landfill diversion rates;
- Add jobs;
- Increases local revenues; and
- Contributes to the reduction of green house gas emissions.
Loan Program and Business Assistance
The RMDZ program offers eligible businesses below market terms financing for new development and expansion projects, technical assistance and free product marketing. The Sonoma/Mendocino/Lake Zone offers substantial benefits to potentially eligible businesses. Benefits include:
- Attractive Loans
- Loans of up to $2 million or 75% of project costs, whichever is less
- 4.0% interest rate (current as of 05/2010)
- Funds may be used for equipment, permanent working capital, leasehold improvements, and up to $1 million dollars for real property acquisition
- Technical Assistance
- Locating manufacturing materials (feedstock)
- Finding markets for products
- Providing current market conditions/trends
- Evaluating technology and equipment
- Creating relationships with industry contacts, local recyclers, and waste haulers
- Providing geographical data on demographics, waste streams, and economics
- Product Marketing
- Free product marketing on RecycleStore, an online site that links buyers in direct contact with recycling-based manufacturers
If you would like to request more information, please contact RMDZ staff at:
EDFC – Mendocino County
175 E. Church St.
Ukiah, CA 95482
Sonoma/Mendocino/Lake Counties RMDZ
2300 County Center Dr.
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Lake County Economic Development Program – Lake County
255 North Forbes St.
Lakeport, CA 95453
Phone: (707) 263-2580
1001 I Street, Mail Stop 9A
Sacramento, CA 95812-4025
Phone: (916) 341-6587